Spero Renatus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

...A Friendly Word

2 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

...A Friendly Word Empty ...A Friendly Word

Post by Strike Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:37 am

The Manakahai scouts returned to their Boss with official confirmation. Numbers, layout, and a rough idea of the defenses - it was all they needed to act.

Ten warriors mounted atop okhruun headed the front of the formation. A few dozen warg-men flanked them on the sides, followed by the bannermen and two loose divisions of about twenty foot-soldiers each.

Behind this formation, a small group of turakuun hauled carts...but the carts weren't orcish in their make, or their wares. A few footmen had horses which had been blinded and tethered tightly, but otherwise unharmed. The crates were sealed and appeared to be undamaged.

"Advance," the Boss atop the foremost okhruun barked, and the whole conglomeration moved forward along the road. Their lines were not neat and even, but they moved solidly as a cohesive unit, each aware of his place and his orders.

They marched straight along the trail that had been worn by carts and traffic before. They moved without great haste and in direct sight. It would only be a matter of time before they were very obviously spotted by any sentries, lookout, or even townsfolk of the Atrumite fishing village that they approached head-on.

A low, rumbling horn sounded far and wide, like the call of some slumbering beast. The formation stopped a few hundred yards short of the village. No weapons were drawn. With his men stopped behind him, the Boss spurred his massive okhruun a few jogging paces forward ahead of the group, signalling that he wanted...a friendly word with the representatives of these people. He raised the banner of the Manakahai Orsien Kindred high and proud and then planted it in front of him. The whole group of waiting Orsien fell into silence as they waited, showing no sign of advancing any further.

Strike

Back to top Go down

...A Friendly Word Empty Re: ...A Friendly Word

Post by Order of Atrum Veneficus Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:48 am

A few sentries saw what was coming and quickly rang bells and shouted down towards the other guards and soldiers scattered throughout the village. In just a few moments the gate's opened slightly allowing 10 sword magis mounted on drakes to walk out, they were lead by a man not on a drake, but in much heavier armor than the rest, he was obviously of a high station then the rest of these soldiers.

"Orsien! My name is Sartos Konyn the military governor of these fishing villages. What is the meaning of this rather...armed group of men you bring to my gates?"
Order of Atrum Veneficus
Order of Atrum Veneficus

Back to top Go down

Post by Strike Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:00 am

Seeing the magis approach, the Boss nodded his satisfaction and dismounted his okhruun. He took a few more steps ahead of his congregation, not bothering to introduce himself or his people - his banners had already done a good enough job of that. The man - more like a creature, really - was a hulking, massive thing, standing over six and a half feet tall and rippling with muscles underneath his arrayed leather and chain armor which had undoubtedly seen many battles. A gigantic two-handed battleaxe was slung across his back and glistened in the sunlight.

"Your gates are on Orsien ground," the low answer of his voice was more of a grumble than a yell even at this distance. There was perhaps a hint of challenge, but not malice in his tone. He paused for a moment. "We found something that belongs to you."

Strike

Back to top Go down

Post by Order of Atrum Veneficus Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:03 am

Sartos did not back down, he didn't even seem frightened by the creature before him "There was no marker or indication that this land was Orsien, nor during the construction of this entire village did any of your people notify us of this...and what would that be?"
Order of Atrum Veneficus
Order of Atrum Veneficus

Back to top Go down

Post by Strike Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:09 am

"We have been away," the Boss answered simply, as if that was all the explanation in the world he would have expected anyone to want. Again, he left a notable few seconds' gap before his next statement. "We notify you now, and we bring you what you have lost."

With a simple wave of his hand and a grunt, the front line of his unit parted, the wargs circling around to the back perimeter and the footsoldiers tightening up to make a path for the carts behind them. It was a shipment of trade goods on wagons that the village had sent out that morning, undisturbed from its original packaging and still tagged with any of its Atrumite marks. The turakuun's handlers made a visible display of unstrapping their sheathed weapons and handing them to their nearest comrades before coming forward unarmed. They led the turakuun ahead by their harnesses and the heavy wooden wheels of the carts cranked behind them as they rolled forward.

Strike

Back to top Go down

Post by Order of Atrum Veneficus Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:13 am

The men on the drakes slowly walked forward towards the shipment, in a slow nonthreatening manner, as if to retrieve it once the orcs gave it back.

Sartos nodded and said "So now that you have notified us of your claim to these lands, what do you expect me and the five hundred civilians who now call this city home to do?"
Order of Atrum Veneficus
Order of Atrum Veneficus

Back to top Go down

Post by Strike Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:30 am

The turakuun handlers moved the shipment forward in between the two groups, parking it off to the side. They dropped it, unlashed their beasts, and led them back and behind the formation which closed back in around them. The Boss took a few more steps forward.

"Move," he answered abruptly, but not harshly. "But I know this is difficult for you, and so we do not ask it just now. Your trade caravans on the road have been disrupting our hunting since we returned. We want them to stop. We also want a...tax from your people while you are here, for using this place we have claimed. We do not wish blood against you."

Strike

Back to top Go down

Post by Order of Atrum Veneficus Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:37 am

Sartos sighed and then said "I simply do not have the authority to mandate a move like that, or the tax. I will have to send a communication back to the main land of Atrum Veneficus and I do not know how long it will take for a response, or what they will respond with." He obviously did not want to move, and was willing to fight these orcs to the death for the land they had claimed, but he wouldn't say that.
Order of Atrum Veneficus
Order of Atrum Veneficus

Back to top Go down

Post by Strike Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:45 am

"You expect us to wait," the orc said flatly and without any anger or harsh judgment in his voice. He weighed this for a second. If anything, he already seemed bored. He thought for a moment.

"The tax can wait. But the caravans - " as he spoke, he gestured to the parked carts at their side, "are crossing our territory and must stop today." He thought again for a moment. He seemed to be feeling generous. "No, two days. And I will allow any that are already out to return here to you. I do not care about your ships."

Strike

Back to top Go down

Post by Order of Atrum Veneficus Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:48 am

Sartos nodded "The caravans I can stop, that is something I can do for you without approval from the main land. But the rest, yes you need to wait on that until they respond."

Some more atrumite guards seemed to be gathering along the walls, they didn't seem like they were outwardly preparing for battle, they were just curious. But they were there.
Order of Atrum Veneficus
Order of Atrum Veneficus

Back to top Go down

Post by Strike Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:55 am

The Boss nodded. "Good. I will be back." He turned to leave, and then stopped briefly, addressing the Atrumite once more. "By the way. Your caravan men are safe in the field. None hurt. They were told to wait an hour and come home." He then turned finally, mounting his okhruun in a single burly motion, and ended the conversation just as soon as it had begun as he heeled the impressive creature to turn. The formation behind him swung in tow with a heavy battering of hooves and greaves, banners waving high and proud, and a discordant warhorn sounded from somewhere in the back of the unit as they made their way.

Strike

Back to top Go down

Post by Order of Atrum Veneficus Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:01 am

Sartos nodded and let them leave with that, then immediately turned around and walked back into the gates, grabbing the nearest soldier "Send word to all the villages to be on high alert, and get all their soldiers ready to fight, I want any village to be able to defend themselves on a moments notice." The soldier nodded and went off, by this point Sartos was in the city hall, he quickly began using one of the magic devices there to send a communication back to Atrum Veneficus detailing what had just happened and the demands.

"Reinforcements are on route, the military of Atrum Veneficus is taking this as an act of aggression, not yet war. Hang tight Sartos, I'll be there shortly. When he returns I will PERSONALLY discuss his 'terms' with him. From the back of a Dragon." The voice was Sorac IvoryWolf, crown prince of Atrum Veneficus and leader of the Order of Retribution.
Order of Atrum Veneficus
Order of Atrum Veneficus

Back to top Go down

Post by Strike Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:09 am

As promised, the Atrumite civilians returned shortly. None were harmed and they all shared the same corroboration of the story: just a few miles out from the village they were suddenly overcome by the same group of Orsien who told them to stand down. Their caravan was overrun and their cart was taken promptly. The only ones who sustained any injuries were those who resisted their captors, and no one was harmed severely despite the orcs' overwhelming numbers. They were bound loosely and blindfolded and then sat in a cluster, told to wait about an hour and they would be allowed to return safely.

The Boss was true to his word - any caravans within the next few days would be allowed to pass freely by without any altercation, although they would see various Orsien scouts marking their passages from a distance. Likewise, a few squads of scouts kept watch on any notable movements to and from the village. It seemed that the main body of the Orsien unit had moved at least a few miles away for the time being and set up a camp.

Strike

Back to top Go down

Post by Order of Atrum Veneficus Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:14 am

As the next few days drag on, the forces in these villages increases quite a bit, troops arriving to guard each and every town, even the small towns now had make shift walls being erected along their borders. Caravans all had larger compliments of armed guards, and the main fishing village that the orc boss has been to, the village of Sasar so named to honor the death of Sorac's father, now had a full military compliment along with the dragons and wyverns to show it.

A dragon, larger than most of the others flew down and landed in the center of town, making sure not to hit anything else due to it's size. As soon as it's rider jumped off, it's size changed to that of a human being. Sartos walked over to the man and bowed.

"Crown Prince Sorac, it is my honor to welcome you to my village. I hope the trip was pleasant."

Sorac was a bit taller than Sartos, his eyes a dark red, contrasted to rather pale skin and silver hair. He wore armor heavy enough to protect him but light enough to allow quick movement during a battle, except on his tail which was grafted on to him from a fallen dragon, re-sized by magic, and his right arm which appeared to be made of a magical obsidian like substance. On his left hand the armor seemed to end in claws on his fingers, whether that was just the armor or Sorac actually had claws, was a mysteru to Sartos.

Sorac smiled and nodded "It was quicker than expected, but pleasant enough. Do you think this will be enough to fight the orcs if need be?"

Sartos sighed "The group I saw? Yes, the full brunt of an orc invasion? I'm not sure any of our new continental villages have the defensive capabilities to do that."

Sorac nodded "Right, well...hopefully we won't have to fight at all. And if we do, I don't care how dishonorable those things think it is I refuse to leave the land we worked hard to build these villages on."

Sartos raised an eyebrow "What do you mean sir?"

Sorac walked over towards the wall of the village "If we can't defend for long by ourselves, I will ask for aid, if no one comes we will send for the rest of the offensive military to come aid us in the fight and I will teach these 'men' to fear the night and our dragon fire. They think they can beat their drums and sound their horns to scare us? We've fought things that make the orcs look like children. If they make the mistake of challenging me, I will show their entire civilization the error in their judgement."

Sartos nodded "Don't you think that is a little extreme sir? We just want to defend our land, not destroy their's."

Sorac shot him a dark look "I will do anything to keep my people safe, I will never allow my people to be treated as lesser than anyone else ever again. As a general, I would hope the same is true for you."

Sartos backed off and nodded "Of course sir, glory to the night gods and the night well." He turned and walked down the stairs on the wall back to the city.

Sorac nodded and looked out away from the city and sighed, thinking aloud "I truly hope to avoid that scenario, but it is a last resort after all. If we need help, I hope someone comes. If not...this war will be costly."
Order of Atrum Veneficus
Order of Atrum Veneficus

Back to top Go down

Post by Strike Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:42 am

A few days later, a small Orsien military detachment appeared just where it had before. Riding ahead in the cool early morning and accompanied by the sound of clanking metal and a booming horn, the Boss waited at the front of his troop for the representative of the village to meet him.

Strike

Back to top Go down

Post by Order of Atrum Veneficus Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:46 am

Sorac and Sartos both walked out, accompanied this time by a detachment of Umbra Guard on top of larger drakes. Above them, circling high up in the skies, was a group of dragons and their storm magis riders, ready to rain down fire and lightning on the orcs if they had too.

"Welcome, to the village of Novus, the governing capital of the Atrum Veneficus colonies. My name is Sorac IvoryWolf, crown prince of Atrum Veneficus and current Lord of Retribution. What is your business here?" His tone and stance made it clear he knew why the orcs were here, but he was NOT going to give into their demands.
Order of Atrum Veneficus
Order of Atrum Veneficus

Back to top Go down

Post by Strike Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:53 am

As The Boss dismounted his okhruun and approached, he sized Sorac up rather patiently.

"You know what my business is here," he stated rather bluntly. "I guess that you have come from far to talk about it, so go ahead." He gestured for Sorac to continue which might be seen as somewhat polite, at least as far as orcs went.

Strike

Back to top Go down

Post by Order of Atrum Veneficus Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:57 am

Sorac nodded, seeing that at least for Orcs this was polite. "Thank you, Sartos told me about what you requested, and upon speaking with King of Nights Dehix Banesinger, I was sent to tell you these villages will remain as they have, under my governance and protection. You are welcome to the unclaimed lands beyond the trails we use for trading between villages, as long as we can inhabit this area of land peacefully together." Sorac explained like there was only a little room for negotiation.
Order of Atrum Veneficus
Order of Atrum Veneficus

Back to top Go down

Post by Strike Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:01 am

The Boss took a few moments to roll that around in his massive skull. Even standing a few yards away, he was a towering figure framed by his loyal warriors behind him in the distance. He nodded slowly and thoughtfully.

"You care very much about your villages. You have built much here," he continued, making note that these people were not predisposed to picking up and moving like the Orsien did frequently. "I see that you intend to...build more." With narrowed eyes, he gestured to the obviously increased military forces near them.

Strike

Back to top Go down

Post by Order of Atrum Veneficus Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:05 am

Sorac shook his head "Merely a precaution, I'm not sure if you are aware but the political climate of this continent has gotten...stormy as of late. If war were to break out these villages would be the first to be targeted by anyone who choose, foolishly, to be our enemy. My soldiers are here only to make sure these villages are well protected against any foe that may challenge them."
Order of Atrum Veneficus
Order of Atrum Veneficus

Back to top Go down

Post by Strike Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:10 am

"That is why we did not attack you." A sort of smile played across the orc's face. "War is war, and business is business. This is only business. But I see you do not plan to move, do you?" He barely paused, as he didn't really intend for it to be a question. "What is your plan then, Crown Prince?"

Strike

Back to top Go down

Post by Order of Atrum Veneficus Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:22 am

"No, we do not plan to move. Our plan as of right now and into the foreseeable future, is to remain here and guard this villages and their trade routes against anyone who would threaten them." Sorac, though he was definitely not as large as the Orc, was not in the slightest intimidated by him.
Order of Atrum Veneficus
Order of Atrum Veneficus

Back to top Go down

Post by Strike Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:55 pm

"We are the only ones who come to this land," the Boss continued, as if explaining something that Sorac didn't already know. "You have no threats from other nations. And, as you might have noticed, bandits are...scarce around these parts. You can thank us for that," he suggested with a slight grin. "And the very paths your 'routes' are on are our old trails. Some of the fields you plow are rich with our soil. Some of the forests you lumber were planted by our go'orath'skehi. Do you know this? Do you not see why we bother to come and speak with you? You are not the only ones with...interests here." The orc's patience seemed to be rather respectable, at least among his kind, but the slight hints of a snarl still played across his face.

Strike

Back to top Go down

Post by Order of Atrum Veneficus Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:00 pm

Sorac smiled, he seemed to notice the slight hints of a snarl on the orc's face, he assumed that would happen. But it didn't scare him. "I had a feeling something like that would be true, considering you came to speak with us. Also that explains the trails our first settlers started to use. I do understand you may have interests here, and had the Orsien people have been here when we came to settle, we wouldn't have settled. But now that we've done so much here... there is no way we'll be leaving. But as I said, we are willing to trade, and coexist, if you wish." Sorac was not backing down, he made that clear.
Order of Atrum Veneficus
Order of Atrum Veneficus

Back to top Go down

Post by Strike Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:35 pm

The human did not seem to understand how this worked. The Boss, crossing his thickly muscled arms, attempted once more.

"So, Crown Prince. Do you have a house? If you are away from that house for a few moons, and I move into it and call it my own, and even after you return and tell me that it is your house, I can just stay...because I have already moved in there?" He paused for a long moment, tilting his square head to the side. "And you are offering me your terms?"

Strike

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum